Wednesday, July 4, 2007

What IS that?

Ok, my expert gardener friends, I need your help. When I walked out to my garden this morning, this is what I saw at the top of one of my shallot stalks. Is this "seed"? What do I do with it? Does this mean that the shallots need to be harvested? Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Ok, I admit it...... I'm a cilantro-neglecter. I've had it flower before, but this is ridiculous, I know. To be honest, I'm not sure why I chose to grow cilantro. I never use it. Now I'll just have to find uses for it.

4 comments:

Scoutmaster - David S. said...

The bulb thing at the top of your shallot stalks is an unopened flower.

All the allium family of plants that I know of have a bulbuous flower, like chive flowers, that start out looking like that.

It will probably look like my onion blossoms, like in this picture:
http://my.gardenguides.com/photos/divaqs/photo/384/18

Some of the allium family produce little seeds once the flower dries out. I am not sure about shallots.

Krista said...

Thanks so much, divaqs! So, just leave it alone?

Linda said...

Looks like your plant is going to bloom ... nothing to worry about. Stop by my blog and see my Egyptian Walking onions doing the same thing.

Janet said...

Hi Krista,

I've been neglecting my blog and just saw your comment asking about this. Sorry. :o( I'm glad you got an answer without me.