Saturday, August 16, 2008

Cooking from the Garden

This is just how I imagined it would be to have a vegetable garden. I went out in the morning and picked some zucchinis (see below). I shredded about half of them for freezing (to make zucchini bread some time later in the year) and made this great saute with the rest of it. The tomatoes are also from the garden and, oh, they taste like heaven. Now, you have to understand that I'm not a tomato-loving person. I normally don't buy tomatoes because I've never really cared for them. Then, one time while my mom was visiting, she asked if I've ever eaten tomatoes right off the vine. I admitted I hadn't and that got me to thinking that maybe I'd try to grow tomatoes this year. Well, that was about the best decision ever because these tomatoes are just delicious!
So, for you cooking-types out there, this is how I made the above yumminess: Saute a small amount of chopped onions (like maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 cup, if you want a measurement) with some garlic (I think I used 2 small cloves) in some butter. Add the zucchini (I used 2 small ones from the garden, thinly sliced) and saute for 3 or 4 minutes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped tomatoes and sliced olives. Turn heat off but leave on burner and cover until cheese is melted (about a minute or two). This makes two good-sized servings, so you'd want to double it to feed a normal-sized family. I made this small serving because Chad was out of town and I wasn't sure if the kiddos would eat it (however, let me just say Gavin LOVED it!....Alayna didn't but what can I say....typical 2-yr-old!). Plus, I didn't want leftovers because it didn't look like it would reheat well.


2 comments:

Krista said...

I forgot to add in my recipe that I also threw in a small handful of basil I picked from the garden. My basil is the smallest herb plant I have....not sure why it didn't really take off, but it gave me enough to sprinkle for this meal. Also, if you actually try to make this....add some salt and pepper to the zucchini...I forgot to mention that!

Miriam said...

Yum Yum, I can taste it now. This is exactly how I have cooked it many times. I love basil and tomato combo. I am very proud of you Krista!